Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY)

India is a huge country and it has also been developing at a very fast rate but the some of the problems still exist at a base level which is basically the village level. There is still lack of infrastructure in many Indian villages and in addition to this, many of these Indian villages are still not connected to electricity. The government has already taken steps to ensure that they power up all the villages and the government is also working towards building the infrastructure in the villages.

To start the process of development, the government decided to start by building roads and hence the government launched Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana. Here are all the details about the scheme.

What is Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana?

Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana

Under the scheme, the government is building the roads across India and the main aim of building the roads is to connect the villages which are still not connected via road. In addition to this, the scheme extends to the plain as well as hilly areas. Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana had been there since the year 200 and since then, almost 82% of the villages had been connected. This had helped the people massively.

The lifestyle of many people had changed since the launch of the scheme and the credit goes to the government for such a great initiative. The scheme had another major impact on India as many of the states launched Mukhya Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana and this scheme was a compliment to Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana. The scheme launched by states helped in increasing the pace of development in many villages.

Another amazing fact about this scheme is that the Online Management, Monitoring, and accounting System was set up to track the progress of the scheme and this also helped in having a higher transparency for the project.

How does Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana work?

The scheme was taken up in various phases. During the first phase, it was decided that the government will be concentrating on building the roads with a population of 1000 people and above. The target set for this was 2003.

In the second phase, the target was to build the roads for the villages where the population lies between 500 and 1000 and this was aimed to be achieved by 2007. This was all about the plain area but as mentioned earlier, hilly areas and remote locations were also targeted under the scheme.

Similarly, another aim of the project was to build roads in hilly, dessert and tribal villages which has a population of 500 and above. The deadline set for this phase was in 2003 and similarly, the deadline set for building roads in hilly, dessert and tribal villages which has a population of 250 and above was 2007.

Who will back the plan?

The plan was initially backed by the central government and they were allocated the budgets for the scheme. Since 2015, 60% of the funds are given by the central government whereas the rest 40% of the funds come from the state governments.

How will it affect the citizens?

The scheme has impacted the people in several ways and some of the benefits it delivered to the people are mentioned below

  • The scheme has had a major impact on the lifestyle of the people and the lifestyle of the people has significantly improved.
  • There are improved logistic channels available now and in addition to this, the people from the remote area can travel easily to get a job outside their village.
  • The average road building speed since 2016 had been 130 Km per day and this itself is helping in the development of the country.

Details of the scheme

Scheme Name – Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana

Budget For scheme – NA

Scheme Launched by – Mr. Atal Behari Vajpayee

Scheme Launch Date – 25 December 2000

Official Website: http://pmgsy.nic.in/

Is this the way forward for the nation?

Since the inception of the scheme, a lot has been achieved and it is expected that the project will conclude by March 2019. In addition to this, the scheme has helped in increasing the pace of development. Any nation needs a very well-established infrastructure to progress in sync with the global economy and the scheme is certainly helping India in the overall development process and the government should ensure that all the places are connected via roads.

Leave a Reply