PMMVY of Pradhan Mantri Matritva Vandana Yojana is one of the latest schemes in India released in this 3 year of tenure after the BJP or Bharatiya Janata Party come to action. Pradhan Mantri Matritva Vandana Yojana was launched in the year 206, by the present Prime Minister of India Mr. NarendraModi and this program comes under the Ministry of Women And Child development.
Why Pradhan Mantri Matritva Vandana Yojana is launched
This scheme promises to take care of those women, who are married, having the age of 19 minimum of above and have given a first baby birth to their child. This basically works as a conditional cash transfer scheme for those women who are pregnant or lactic. The PMMVY initiative also provides partial wage compensation to women for wage-loss during childbirth and childcare. This is for taking care of the women, that she can have a safe delivery and good nutrition and feeding practices for herself and her baby as well.
This program was absolutely for those women who are economically poor. This has also been labeled as a maternity benefit programme in India, which gets run by the Indian Government. During the time when this Pradhan Mantri Matritva Vandana Yojana was just an idea, it was brought under the National Food Security Act. This was the year 2013, and that condition was to implement the provision of cash maternity benefit of Rs 6000 for each woman. But the present conditions and terms of this scheme are changed. Now, the scheme is implemented on a pilot basis in 53 selected districts and proposals are under consideration to scale it up to 200 additional ‘high burden districts’. It’s a program that took valuable steps forward on the above statistics on during the year 2015-2016. When this program was under the National Food Security Act, those women used to receive an amount of 6000INR. But after the Indian government took it over, and named it as PMMVY, they receive 5000 in three installations.
You May also like to read: Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
After the implementation of Pradhan Mantri Matritva Vandana Yojana, there is an enormous number of pregnant women who got benefited. Previously arranging money for their delivery and including cots. After a certain time period, it’s also been seen that the condition of such pregnant women, the death ratio of infants and mothers have also decreased to a decent extent. In the year 2017, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, during the event of New Year Eve, stated in his speech that PMMVY scheme will be scaled up to cover 650 districts of the country.
Objectives of Pradhan Mantri Matritva Vandana Yojana
- Promoting appropriate practice, care and institutional service utilization for the pregnant women in the nation.
- Taking care of women during pregnancy, delivery, and lactation.
- Educating and encouraging women to follow (optimal) nutrition and feeding practices. Which also includes early and Exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months and such educations.
- Helping with a specific amount of cash incentives for improved health and nutrition to pregnant and lactating mothers.
- Pradhan Mantri Matritva Vandana Yojana provides financial assistance as grant-in-aid to state governments.
Benefits under PMMVY
Provided with a cash incentive of Rs 5000 in three installments i.e. first installment of Rs 1000/ – on early registration of pregnancy. The second installment of Rs 2000/ – after six months of pregnancy and the third installment of Rs 2000/ – after childbirth.
- The eligible women would receive the incentive under the JananiSurakshaYojana (JSY) for Institutional delivery. And further the incentive received under JSY would be accounted towards maternity benefits, hence an average a woman gets Rs 6000 / – under this scheme.